[wp-forums] I have been assy here

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 25 22:59:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Jan Dembowski <jan at dembowski.net> wrote:
> I think it's fine too and I'm glad that topic was closed. That "manually
> edit the database version" was really not good advice.

For 3.5.2, the db_version they should have in the database after the
update is 22442.

The code that gets executed to perform the upgrade is this:

        if ( $wp_current_db_version < 22442 ) {
                $illegal_names = get_site_option( 'illegal_names' );
                if ( is_array( $illegal_names ) && count(
$illegal_names ) === 1 ) {
                        $illegal_name = reset( $illegal_names );
                        $illegal_names = explode( ' ', $illegal_name );
                        update_site_option( 'illegal_names', $illegal_names );
                }
        }

This was a fix to correct invalid values of the "illegal_names"
parameter in the system:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23418

It only really applies to Multisite installs. If the site is a single
site install, then nothing will be broken by manually updating this
value, this time.

Good advice in general, and definitely important to figure out why
they are getting a failed upgrade since manually updating the version
number won't fix the underlying problem. But it will get them up and
running again without serious consequence this time, assuming they're
upgrading from 3.5 or 3.5.1.

-Otto