[wp-forums] escort spam

mrmist listswpforum at mist.org.uk
Thu Feb 21 08:35:11 UTC 2013

Hi

I just deleted another bucket load of escort spam from the forums - more
still coming in.

Some things I noticed -

1. Some of the spam accounts had "Akismet Always Trust" set.  I don't
think that this should EVER get set automatically.  This should be
something that a mod has to set manually.

2. If 1) is something that a mod has to set manually, then mods need to
be more careful about what boxes they are ticking ;)

3. Some of the accounts were bozos, but the posts coming in were not
being spammed. This may be some kind of race condition, related to 1)
being unset as they were coming in, but might need looking at.

4. Some of these accounts are pushing stuff in very quickly, we need to
make sure that the rate limiting is working and that it exponentially
forces backoff in the event of rapid postings.

5. Very obvious repetitive spam with words like "blowjob" and "escorts"
is being allowed through by Akismet.  Is it even running?

mrmist.