[wp-forums] FYI: dodgy theme promotion

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Thu Feb 7 17:22:16 UTC 2013

Just put <http://wordpress.org/support/profile/christina-nguyen> on a
temp bozo. They're just trying to promote their own theme - which I duly
checked out.

1. Despite the blurb on the site, the theme is not released under GPL
but under an MIT license.

2. Dig into the theme itself and you'll find it de-registers core jQuery
- very naughty.

3. And this is really weird - the "download" link points to a whopping
19M zip file - which is actually a complete copy of WP! I've not checked
through everything but that sets off all kinds of alarm bells for me.

I've explained all of this to the theme dev(?) in
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-introduce-own-free-theme-on-wordpressorg-and-wordpresscom
(where s/he seems to have completely missed the point about how to
actually submit a theme) but they may just try re-posting their theme
blurb and download again. Hence the b-code.

Mel
--
http://quirm.net
http://blackwidows.co.uk