[wp-forums] Heads up, people

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Sep 20 17:16:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Brandon Kraft
<web-comments at brandonkraft.com> wrote:
> Hi all. Not a moderator, but like to help out and just following this list
> to learn how things work.
>
> A suggestion - I think, in one sense, adding to the codex the common sense
> policy could answer his question without making the mods appear harsh to
> those who don't realize there's a legit back story.
>
> Something like:
> Disabling Accounts and Banning Users
>
> The volunteer moderators reserve the right to disable accounts for a
> limited time or permanently ban users. This is not taken lightly. It is
> only ever used when a user has consistently broken forum rules despite
> warnings or has committed a severe infraction. Warnings are issued by
> moderators editing the offending post, removing the violation and inserting
> a note about why the post was edited.
>
> Reasons that accounts may be banned include, but are not limited to:
> * Repetitive violation of rules after warning.
> * Threats of any manner.
> * Derogatory remarks about any person.
>
> etc etc etc.
>
> From the cheap seats, this is already beyond obvious. Nevertheless, it may
> give peace of mind of those who see these posts and fear the unknown group
> of mods.

The user he's referring to was only scolded for being abusive. He was
banned for, essentially, being a dick. Attempting to bypass our
moderators actions *in any way* is bascially insta-ban as far as I'm
concerned. Posting the same post over and over again for 4 days
despite the moderators removing it each and every time falls into that
category.

Nobody is entitled to question the actions of our moderators except
other moderators. We've made them moderators for a reason, and we
trust them more than we trust anybody else on the forums. This guy has
now been warned for this twice by having his threads closed. If he
does it again, he's gone.

If somebody wants to try to clarify this sort of thing on the codex,
feel free. However, this is the rule of the day: "Do not meddle in the
affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

:)

-Otto