[wp-forums] Spam from ShenZhen

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Oct 10 13:22:06 UTC 2012

on 10/10/2012 13:52 Otto said the following:
> Yeah. And? That's sorta what the spam queue is for.

But it sure ain't fun trying to check through them at 20 posts a time
(cleared about 400 first thing yesterday). I estimate we're getting
about 1,000 per day with up to 75% of them being ShenZhen spam. With
this level of spam, there's a real risk of genuine posts being missed
and deleted. I've already had to retrieve deleted posts on at least 1
occasion because someone alerted me to something that had been deleted
in error. We're only human and mistakes like this will be happening.

> We're not trying to block them from sending us their spam.

Can I ask why not? For that matter, why don't we delete these users? Yes
- I know they'll create new accounts but they do that anyway. I've been
experimenting on the Quirm forum which has also been hit with this spam.
Deleting spam accounts definitely decreases the amount of spam per day.
Don't delete them and the level of spam rises exponentially.

> We're
> sending it all through to Akismet anyway. As long as it's showing up
> in the spam queue, then that's success.

Doesn't feel like it when you're slogging through the spam queue umpteen
times a day.

Mel
--
http://quirm.net