[wp-forums] Users changing their site urls: idea

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Mar 6 22:42:31 UTC 2012

Every time this is brought up, I remember the little work I did on
this over a year ago, to add some kind of validation to the fields, to
actually make sure WordPress would be available at the new url, and it
wasn't going to cause a prolem..  unfortunately, that never made it
into core.. simply for reasons of being done too late in a release
cycle and never going back to it.

FYI, The permissions error can be dealt with usually by clearing the
cookies IF and only if, the site is actually usable at that location..
which isn't always something that those who change the url are going
to be aware of, clearing the cookies  forces them to log in again, and
if they've set it incorrectly, they might not be able to do that.

I don't like the idea of hiding the settings away though, it's a legit
installation "method" and one which the core team is encouraging (To
install the WordPress files in a subdirectory), so its something we
just need to make better, and not let users break their sites by not
understanding what they're actually doing.. The fields themselves hold
very little to say "This could break your site" it says "Change this
if you want the url to change",  which is exactly what it does, if
everything else has been set up for it first..