[wp-forums] Weird - 200 returned on bad url

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Jun 13 14:44:12 UTC 2012

on 13/06/2012 15:18 esmi at quirm dot net said the following:
> Ok. So would "ignored" be a better phrasing? I'm still curious as to why
> there's no attempt to redirect to a 404 in these situations.

Sorry to follow myself up here but I'm not trying to be awkward. Nor am
I having a "brain not working day" - well, not noticeably, anyway.  I'm
primarily trying to come up with the best phrasing for non-tech users.

It also occurred to me that a site could end up with hundreds of broken
http://domain.com/?foo=bar type links and not be able to identify any of
them because they would all return 200.

Finally, it makes no sense to a visitor. They don't know about query
variables. All they know is that they're trying to get to Page A and
they're being shown Page B without any explanation.

Have I missed an RFC on this kind of situation?

Mel
--
http://quirm.net
http://blackwidows.co.uk