[wp-forums] Stumbled across an old, closed thread with bad advice

Chris Cox chris at renaissance-design.net
Thu Jun 7 12:00:37 UTC 2012

The whole purpose of the endeavour is to remove functionality. I can't
think of a single reason for removing the editor functionality where
leaving it accessible but with an unobtrusive message below the editing
pane wouldn't cause more problems than it solves. It's a different
situation to the perms being incorrectly set, and requires a different
approach - if functionality can't be used it should be hidden from the
user unless it's intended that they should go about enabling it.

Installing a role management plugin instead of just setting a constant
provided by core would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I
purposely didn't pick on that particular piece of advice because I was
well aware that it came from you. As Mika's pointed out, it was the best
advice at the time but as of the creation of DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT it's
obsolete, and thus shouldn't be the closest thing to an official answer
anyone can find (given that you're a mod your words carry weight, and
people tend to look on the forums for anything they can't find in the
Codex).

As to no core edit being described: that doesn't appear to have stopped
the last poster before the thread was closed from resolving to damn well
do it anyway.

I was hoping it could be solved quite simply with a mod edit. Evidently not.

*Chris Cox*

Web Designer/Developer

Renaissance Design <http://www.renaissance-design.net/>

Mobile: +44 (0) 7779 336185