[wp-forums] Stumbled across an old, closed thread with bad advice

Chris Cox chris at renaissance-design.net
Thu Jun 7 10:47:13 UTC 2012

I found this thread, which was closed without a definitive answer:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/disable-theme-editing-in-admin-area

Two answers given, one of which was hacking core, the other breaking WP
functionality by setting file permissions. The post comes second in the
SERPS when I Googled the issue, so it's fairly high-profile.

As far as I've been able to dig up, setting:

define('DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT',true);

in wp-config.php would seem to be the best-practice solution, but with
the thread closed there's no way for me to add it.

--

*Chris Cox*

Web Designer/Developer

Renaissance Design <http://www.renaissance-design.net/>