[wp-forums] Extend privileges to trusted support forum users

Chris Olbekson chris at c3mdigital.com
Fri Aug 24 04:45:54 UTC 2012

Hello front line forum warriors,

I missed the irc meeting but I wanted to bring this up.  I think it would improve the quality of the forums if there was a way to extend additional privileges (janitorial duties) to trusted volunteers.  One of the reasons I think the Stack Overflow module is successful is that the users provide all the moderation.  Trusted users have the ability to retag questions, make edits, vote to close and the highest ranking users can earn full moderator privileges without being elected as a moderator.

Every time I go through and answer threads on dot org I see little issues that could easily be fixed on the spot but are probably too minor to add a mod-look tag.  Mainly its stuff like code without back tics, erroneous tags or even closing a 3 yr old topic that gets bumped for some reason.

Just wanted to open this up for discussion and not sure of way to determine this trusted user status.  Maybe mods could award it based on observed activity or to users who expressed an interest but haven't earned a set of keys yet.

--
Chris Olbekson
C3M Digital WordPress Consulting & Development