[wp-forums] The Hacks subforum is useless

scribu mail at scribu.net
Thu Apr 19 17:58:07 UTC 2012

> Second of all, there is a huge overlap with

> > http://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting
> >

> Not really, as the how-to is more about using Wordpress, hacks was for
> coding.

It doesn't matter what the intention was. The fact is that if you were to
look at a sample list of topics from each forum, you couldn't tell from
which one they were taken.

> I'm not massively convinced that there's much benefit to killing it off.
>  Killing off hacks won't suddenly mean that the people posting there get
> replies in some other sub-forum.

No, but at least there won't be as much confusion about where to ask a
certain question.

If we don't merge it into How-To and Troubleshooting, we should make the
distinction clearer.

For example, change the description of the parent "Plugins And Hacks" forum
from "Extensions and modifications" to "Help with a particular plugin".

--
http://scribu.net