[wp-forums] Disastrous Coding Practices in Premium Themes

Joni Mueller joni at jonimueller.com
Sun Apr 15 19:49:08 UTC 2012

I wholeheartedly agree and that is one big reason I prefer to "roll my own" and won't work on a site if a client insists on using some bloated premium theme. Most of the time, they lack flexibility anyway.  Granted, there are some great premium theme developers out there; Brian Gardner and StudioPress come immediately to mind; there are others.  But by and large, I see a lot of sloppy coding, sloppy CSS, bloated and superfluous CSS. Don't get me started.

And the sad thing about it, the irony, is one point you made.  These premium themes cater to people who can't or won't hire a web designer/developer and/or who don't know and/or don't want to know HTML, CSS and other code necessary to tweak their own WordPress theme.  And it is precisely this group of people who are not going to be savvy enough to figure out that the code is bloated and possibly even in some cases malicious. Or certainly harmful, perhaps not intentionally.

Someone hold my drink while I climb down off my soapbox. :)

Joni Mueller
Pixelita Designs
http://www.pixelita.com