[wp-forums] angelin.deboral lost the email to her old user ID

ipstenu at ipstenu.org ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Thu Sep 8 15:47:46 UTC 2011

Her latest post:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/i-want-the-emailid-associated-with-account-as-i-have-forgot

Backstory.

She had an id (angelin.nadar -
http://wordpress.org/support/profile/angelinnadar/ ) with NO posts, and
she lost the password.  No big, except she also forgot which email
address it was.  Furthermore, the email address no longer exists (per
yahoo, I emailed it directly).

So now we have a case where she says "I am this user name, but I can't
prove it in any way shape or form, because I don't remember the password
or the email.  But can you reset the password for me anyway?"

And I said "No, that's what we call 'social engineering.'  Tough
titties, move on."  (I said it nicer!)

Do I think it's her? Probably yes, but with no posts to the name, I
can't even spot-check the IP to be certain, and the security mole in my
heart screams in abject hate at the idea of just handing over an ID,
when I don't know what else it may effect.  I highly doubt there's any
risk in this particular situatino, but I'm not personally comfortable
opening the door.  Especially since (1) no posts exists for the old
account, (2) she has one (unanswered) topic with the new one and (3)
merging accounts involves buying Otto a home brewery set at this rate.

Am I being too knee-jerky paranoid about security?  (I swear, Nacin, I
took the tin foil out of my hat today!)