[wp-forums] How To Handle Links/Recommendations to non-GPL Themes/Plugins

Mika A. Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Tue Oct 25 14:47:07 UTC 2011

> I'd just suggest a modlook. We don't get that many, so a few more per
> day isn't going to cause any problem. Then theme links can be
> removed,
> if necessary.

I don't even think it needs a modlook (which I only DON'T like because
then all the posts from the topic show up in my rss feed, and theme
posts get pretty long ;) ).  A comment in the thread to point out the
non-GPLness and then report the theme/plugin to the 'right place.'

I also don't see how it's an endorsement by WPORG by a thinking person
any more than a link to my site would be seen as an endorsement.  It's
not advertising, though yes I know it's a slippery slope between a link
to a tech article I wrote on a topic, and self-pimping (it's like porn -
I know it when I see it).  The unthinking, who would see it as
endorsement, aren't going to be helped, or educated, by closing a post
or removing a link anyway.  They'd just get more confused.  A reply with
an explanation has a CHANCE of being read.

The GPL restriction is for being hosted BY the wordpress.org repos, and
after that it's not really OUR job to go after places like Theme-Junkie
and tell them "Hey! You're in GPL vio! *tough guy pose*".  Actually I
don't even know where we SHOULD send external theme GPL-vio reports...
Internal would easily be theme-reviewers, and plugins to plugsins[at]
... Probably WordPress Foundation? But that feels wrong too.

Point is... It's really a huge grey area (which is why I said we should
come here to hash it out, not stay in the forum).  In that specific
case, it was noted in thread that the theme was non-GPL.

"Non GPL products are not welcome in the WordPress community.  All
plugins and themes that are publicly released are required to adhere to
http://wordpress.org/about/gpl/ - Any support requests for non-GPL
products are usually ignored, in the interests of supporting the
community and its freedoms."

--
Mika A Epstein (aka Ipstenu)
http://ipstenu.org