[wp-forums] Themes/Templates Forum: Commercial Themes

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Oct 25 14:43:52 UTC 2011

Well, there are two classifications in this case:

1) Users who acquired "freemium"/"upsell"/"no-support-offered-free" Themes
directly from the commercial Theme shop
2) Users who acquired adulterated versions of commercial Themes, from "the
wild"

The first case, generally speaking, will be GPL. The second case, however,
generally involves Themes that have been distributed under non-GPL-compat
licenses (generally in violation of the original Theme's license). The
latter, I usually link to my "Only Download WordPress Themes from Trusted
Sources" blog post.

But even in the first case, while it is not official forum policy, I have
always maintained that providing WPORG forum support for Themes for which
the developer offers *paid* support is equivalent to working for that
developer for free. Implicitly allowing users to seek/receive such support
only encourages more of such users.

Chip