[wp-forums] Make Alpha/Beta Forum More Prominent?

Mika A. Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Mon Oct 17 20:02:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:24:21 -0400, Jane Wells wrote:
> On 10/14/11 10:35 AM, Chip Bennett wrote:
>> Just a suggestion, and I'm not even sure if it's possible (though I
>> think it
>> is, with bbPress?): since we are now in beta-testing stage for 3.3,
>> might it
>> be a good idea to promote the Alpha/Beta forum to the TOP of the
>> forum list,
>> rather than have it at/near the very bottom? Maybe even give it some
>> stylistic prominence (similar to sticky posts)?
>
> Statistically, the number of people using the beta version that would
> be reporting things/making suggestions is miniscule compared to the
> number of people who come to the forums looking for support. Raising
> the prominence would needlessly confuse non-beta users.
>
> That said, as we slowly continue the move forward with working groups
> having sections of the .org site to call home, I could foresee a
> test.wordpress.org in the nearish future that could get the
> alpha/beta
> stuff out of the general support area. Probably won't move on that
> until after 3.3 is out, though, realistically.

That's always such a weird idea... I mean, if we can't move posts
between groups, it's a PITA to tell someone "Recreate this exact same
post, but in another group."  They just won't do it, if 'This is a
totally unrelated topic, please make your own' is any indication.

(So ... we need a way to move posts between groups ;) Or to split
posts.)