[wp-forums] Pastebin requirement

Tom Barrett tcbarrett at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 07:08:35 UTC 2011

Hi

Currently, when a user posts a long block of code in the support forums, a
> moderator will delete it and says that posting long blocks of code is
> against the rules.
>

> In short, everyone looses.

I think there is a small set of people that don't :)

> a) allow long blocks of code directly in the forums.

This would definitely make them too noisy?

> b) the moderator doesn't just remove the code, but also posts it on
> pastebin
> and posts a link back to the thread.
>
> c) Add a notice close to the submission form with a link to pastebin so
> that
> users know about the requirement.

As previously noted by others, people will not read these notices.
Additionally I think the external link to pastebin will put people off, as
it can be a fickle world out there.

> d) Allow long blocks of code directly in the forums, but with a "show /
> hide" link

I like this one. Easy to moderate, no loss of data and no need to visit
another site.

Don't get me wrong, I think pastebin is excellent, however I would be
slightly concerned that having to open another window or tab will put up a
slight barrier. In my experience forum and mailing list questions using
pastebin get less responses than a spammy (possibly rule-breaking) post.

--
http://www.tcbarrett.com | http://gplus.to/tcbarrett |
http://twitter.com/tcbarrett