[wp-forums] Meetups forum

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Sun Mar 13 17:25:31 UTC 2011

Hi guys (used with completely non-gender-specific intent). We made a
forum last night labeled Meetups as a stepping stone to some of the
stuff that I'm working on around using profiles and geolocation to help
people find each other for organizing meetups and WordCamps. The usual
rules apply re ejecting spammers and trolls. Additionally, since this
one if for a specific purpose, I'd like to limit the off-topic posting,
as it will increase noise and make people less likely to use this forum
as a tool. To that end, I'll probably try to spend some time moderating
it, and if people go afield, will guide them back and/or remove
irrelevant posts (would notify author and say why, obviously). If people
try to use it for anything other than organizing a local meetup, they
should be bumped to another more appropriate forum.

Jane

P.S. I never did hear back from anyone suggesting someone to act as a
'forums lead' when I posted about it before. I'd still like to do that,
as I'd like to get the forum volunteers more into the main core
contributor feedback loop so your on-the-ground experience helping users
can influence how we prioritize ongoing development of core, as well
doing a better job of providing recognition for these contributions.
Think of it as electing a representative. Who does a great job *and* is
someone you would feel comfortable representing the forum volunteers?
You can reply to me of-list on that one. Thanks.