[wp-forums] Proposal: No URL shorteners?

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Mon Jan 3 12:16:20 UTC 2011

Kind of.

There have been one or two SEO "experts" using them which strikes me as both counter intuitive and possibly misleading. Mind you I think said expert (last nights) is a daft idiot, but it got me thinking of all the times I'd seen shortened links, and the uselessness there of in a place where we have the ability to use basic HTML to say <a href=this is a long link>read this about Foobar</a>.

I have caught a couple spammers using it, outside of the ones caught by Akismet, and I'm starting to see more and more on blogs. The natural progression is, of course, forums.

Not a ban, but a "You know, we would really rather you just put the ding dang URL up, folks, so people know what they're getting into." Honesty on a support forum :)