[wp-forums] Why users can't reset passwords sometimes

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 22 15:47:01 UTC 2011

Sometimes we run across users saying that they were unable to reset
their passwords. I've worked out why this is. Don't have a fix yet,
but I'm telling the mods here so they know what the symptoms are and
what to do about it.

Problem: When a user creates an account on a bbPress site, they start
out without a default role set for them.

Solution: We have a plugin that sets a user's role to "Member"
whenever they don't have any role already set for them. So the first
time they actually log on, they get a role created for them that gives
them some privileges.

Problem: If somebody creates a user and then *never logs on*, then
they won't have a role. If they then later try to reset their
forgotten password, this lack of role will prevent the system from
sending them an email with their new password.

Fix: Get the username, go to
http://wordpress.org/support/profile/USERNAME/edit and set their role
to "Member" instead of "Inactive". Then the password reset will work
for them.

Still working out a better solution. But that's the basic issue to look for.

Notable symptom: The user says that they got the first email with the
temporary key, clicked the link in there, and then it says that their
new random password will be mailed to them. They'll never get that
second email.

-Otto