[wp-forums] Post editing and removing posts

Rich Pedley elfin at elfden.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 15:05:07 UTC 2010

On 15/11/2010 14:49, esmi at quirm dot net wrote:
> on 15/11/2010 14:38 Mika A Epstein said the following:
>> I suspect Otto's point is for crying out loud, people, if you don't
>> want the link public, DON'T POST IT!
>>
>> A serious lack of common sense about how the net works.
>
> So should we recommend that people use something like
> <http://www.urlgone.com/>? As there are times when we need to see the
> site/problem in order to help them and, from what I recall, bit.ly links
> are permanent.
>
> I'm all in favour of discouraging post editing to remove urls if at all
> possible. Far too much extra work if people catch on that long-term
> editing is available.

the people that should have used it, probably won't and they will
still be asking for it to be removed.

The main issue is that a search for the site brings up the link on the
forums, so even if the link is permanent it won't matter if it is
hidden like that, so either service is OK.

the time limiting may have adverse effects, as people are bound to
create short term ones and then have to post an updated link etc etc.

Rich