[wp-forums] Forum Rules Edits

Micah Cooksey micah at ronnykathy.com
Thu Mar 11 23:25:44 UTC 2010

I just wanted to throw a thought out there for the forum rules, that
being if we somehow make them fun to read, whether it's making them
humorous or using clever analogies, I think there's a greater chance
of people reading them to the end.  For instance, I noticed someone (I
can't remember who) used the analogy that bumping is like running to
the front of the line at the grocery store.  That's pretty unthinkable
(for me, anyway, not sure about you guys).  If we can help people
think of it in the right way they will probably be more likely to
comply.  They could be much more stiff and formal than they are now,
but then they could be more engaging as well, if that's possible for a
list of rules :)

The hard part is that some people need a firm warning that if they do
a, b, or c there will be strict penalties like blocking their
username, but on the other hand some guy setting up a site about his
new baby might read that and go "Wow, these people sure won't let you
mess up or they'll jump all over you".  That may be overanalyzing, so
if it is just disregard it :)
Micah Cooksey
micah at ronnykathy.com