[wp-forums] Comment about [sticky] Posts requests for theme decoding in here

Mark Duncan wp-t31os at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 25 12:15:16 UTC 2010

It's quite possible some users do stumble onto these sites thinking
they've found a safe, reliable or good source..

Sure some users do it knowingly (heck i've done it just to get a look at
the dodgy code).

I do however totally agree, as long as members continue to decode dodgy
versions of premuim themes we are in essence providing a means for users
to get their hands on premium themes for free (circumventing the
intended license in some cases).

Do note, these themes are usually at least a couple of versions off
anyway, so by the time they reach the torrent sites they're already
outdated, running older functions, or using older theme code.

If you want my opinion, i personally don't think any theme decryption
should be allowed on the forum, because as i'm sure i've said before, it
side steps the issue of users obtaining themes from very unreliable and
potentially harmful sources.

However, if i remember correctly, someone did previously point out, that
even if we stop allowing such posts, it won't necessary stop them
getting posted as often as they do.

I'd like to rehash the discussion, even though i have myself decrypted
code for users, i really have to look at the bigger picture here, and
the bigger picture being that as long as we keep decrypting, users will
keep using those dodgy sites as a source for their themes.

----

To chuck an idea in, if we were to say no more decryption threads
(hypothetically speaking).

New sticky in theme forum with a short message regarding themes and
sources for themes (links to trusted sites other than the repo) and a
further note regarding encrypted themes and the risks, and why they are
no longer supported(or allowed) in the forums.

----

Mark / t31os