[wp-forums] Ref: Hi Ref: Who is Gisha James

James Huff macmanx at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 05:22:33 UTC 2010

As this list is automatically archived, it is fully capable of being indexed by Google, as is the support forum topic that you are referring to.  You may certainly attempt to contact Google directly and specifically request its removal.  It has been done before, but I understand that even finding the right contact info can be complicated.

This particular list discussion began as a simple question, "Who is Gisha James?" Since one of our forum users reported receiving unsolicited contact from you via both email and Facebook, I felt that it was necessary to find out if anyone was aware of your history and reputation.  At the time, we were not even aware that you had a forum profile.  After learning that you had a forum profile, I attempted to contact you via email, but have still not received a response.

The discussion soon took a turn towards what we consider to be "unethical" and what can be done about it.  This later portion of the discussion had nothing to do with you directly.  If I regret anything, it's that it continued to run under the subject "Who is Gisha James," which I suppose any of us could have changed at any time.

If we learned anything from the discussion, it's that everyone has their own standards of ethics.  As a support forum volunteer and a consultant, I find the practice of sending unsolicited contact offering your services to users on a free support forum to be quite unethical, but others may see it as business 101.

In the end, the situation could have been quite worse.  We could have created a public blacklist, which you may have been featured on.  We could have chosen to block all "unethical" members, in which case you would have been blocked from the forums.  However, due to the personal nature of what is and is not ethical, we all chose to do nothing.

Again, this was primarily a discussion on ethics and what could be done about unethical individuals.  Though this particular discussion was not about you in general, it did start because of the lengths you went to in order to sell your services to one particular forum user.

As a consultant, I understand the importance of reputation.  I also understand that reputation can be easily affected by even the slightest things, but in this case I believe that your reputation has not been directly damaged or at least not damaged any more severely that a negative blog post from the concerned user.  Anyone investigating this particular discussion for your reputation will see nothing more than a question, "Who is Gisha James," a short description of a few unsolicited contact attempts, and a very thorough discussion on ethics and the fact that such a thing is too personal to coherently define.

Thank you for responding to the discussion here.  It is nice to finally here from you.  As the support forum topic was closed, I hope that we can put this all behind us as well.  I think we've had enough discussion on ethics for the year.

________
James Huff
http://www.macmanx.com
http://programnotes.wikia.com