[wp-forums] Ethical practices of consultants

Chris Olbekson chris at c3mdigital.com
Thu Jul 1 01:42:57 UTC 2010

> Should people or consultants *never* email people offering to fix what they
> need fixed? Can people or consultants email help seekers with a simple
> "contact me if you are interested?"

The WordPress.org forums are for free community support.  My opinion is that
consultants should *never* send email or make any other form of contact that
was not specifically requested.  Providing community support in the forums
is meant to be a way to contribute to WordPress.  If a volunteer who is also
a consultant provides good answers and is helpful they will naturally get
requests made to them for  paid work.  This is what the consultant check box
in the profile is for.  If a user is seeking to hire someone they already
have the capability to view your profile and website.

"Ethical practices" are providing community support for the sole purpose of
helping WordPress users and not using the forums to offer ones own paid
services or promote a website.

--Chris Olbekson

[image: C3MDigital.com] <http://c3mdigital.com>
[image: Facebook] <http://facebook.com/c3mdigital>[image: