[wp-forums] self-linking rules?

Michael E. Hancock justmichaelh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 21:05:34 UTC 2010

From: "James Huff" <macmanx at gmail.com>
> 2. Some folks have solved a popular problem (a fix for the Redirection
> plugin, for example), and link to the solution on every possible topic.
> Though this is bridging on spam, it does resolve the issue and answer the
> question at hand.  This behavior should be tolerated.

How about--if a volunteer links to a solution at their site, then they
should be posting the complete solution into the forum as well.  Post both
the full answer and the link.

It should be our practice to encourage the full answer be in the forum
thread so you don't have to depend on a link that later may not be
accessible.

If the question needs to be answered more than a couple times, then
continued reference is better done by contributing the information to one of
the Codex FAQ articles.    Two things are accomplished:  The information is
more likely to be available at a later date because it is in Codex, and
there's no question the person's motive is to contribute to the open source
movement.

MichaelH