[wp-forums] self-linking rules?

James Huff macmanx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:17:31 UTC 2010

I agree, not only because most such links are helpful, but also because I've been accused of doing so myself.

However, as mods we should also give careful consideration to such links.  There are three common scenarios in self-linking that I've noticed:

1. Folks like me will often link to an article on our own blog simply because it's detailed, solves the problem, and we don't want to copy/paste the whole thing.  This type of behavior should be tolerated and possibly even encouraged.

2. Some folks have solved a popular problem (a fix for the Redirection plugin, for example), and link to the solution on every possible topic.  Though this is bridging on spam, it does resolve the issue and answer the question at hand.  This behavior should be tolerated.

3. One individual (whom I shall not name, for he/she doesn't come around all that often, and I forgot his/her name anyway) replies to topics on his/her own blog and simply posts a link as a reply on the forums.  This behavior should not be tolerated.  If I recall correctly, this user has been bozo'ed.

________
James Huff
http://www.macmanx.com
http://weblogtoolscollection.com