[wp-forums] Tone

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 04:37:02 GMT 2007

Handy wrote:
> I would propose that we need to focus on the tone of the support forums.  I
> feel we're a bit hostile and/or caustic. I'm no angel -- you'll notice I'm
> using "we" throughout this message!
>
> Here's a post from earlier today from a fella who was just getting back into
> the volunteer mode:
> http://blog.os42.com/i-admit-defeat-you-win/
>
> That sucks, we chased him off.  It bums me out -- I saw it happen. Now to be
> fair, the "final straw" in his case was someone he was helping was a bit of
> a dick... but really, he was obviously on the edge if that's all it took.
> It could've been any of us that pushed him over. With a bit of research, I
> can dredge up a few more posts along those lines. The forums still have a
> rep.
>
> What gets me is that odds are "any of us" have scared off other potential
> volunteers as well.  There ain't enough helpers as it is, we should probably
> not be scaring 'em off as they're still getting their wings! (and don't get
> me rolling on the large pile of moderators we never see any more...
> different topic)
>
> Granted, some people seeking help are just bloody caustic... but instead of
> unloading on 'em, just move on to the next thread instead.  They'll get the
> support they "deserve".
>
> This dragged me down a bit this summer and I slowed way down on doing
> support and just focused on clearing modlooks and spams instead.  After a
> bit of hiatus I've been back into it more at my usual pace... but this time
> around the overall feel of the place is bugging me more.
>
> Is it just me -- perhaps I'm overly sensitive?  Or am I not too far off
> base?
>
> If it's feeling too much like a grind or like work, step back and take a
> break.  We're volunteers -- why be unhappy volunteers?  :-)
>
> Thoughts?  Flames?
> (anyone even still read this list besides Wank?)
Like most said before, not everyone is a "peach" in the forums. Everyone
brings their own attitudes and ways of doing things. I brought alot of
help before, but I had also brought a wrong doing too. Paid the price
for that wrong doing, and learned from it. I haven't been to the forums
in a long while sigh, I guess I got tied up with general "online drama"
in another part of the web. Hence for me not being around to help like I
should, sigh.

I never really thought the forums were THAT BAD though, attitude wise I
mean. But, maybe things got worse after I left, which I don't know. I'm
willing to come back to help, like I did before. ;) :D We have to keep
in mind though...

a) It's FREE help, people can't/shouldn't get all bent over the tedious
things. I know it's hard sometimes, but, the majority of "us" are at
least over the age of 18, right? It's still FREE help, and people should
take that into consideration. Pfft, like that's going to happen... Ha!

b) We're also "helping" behind the "name" WordPress as well. A little
bit of professionalism won't hurt. (Yes, I know. This is one area I made
a mistake at before, and I learned from it.)

c) This was said numerous of times before, and Handy said it again
above. If anyone feels pissy/moody, or feels like they're going to
explode on someone, step back and take deep breaths.

The biggest issue I had with the forums before, was, the lack of
forewarning posts regarding newer releases of WordPress in general.
Resulting in massive hysteria and chaos in the forums. Because
newer/bigger/better versions of WordPress were spit off the assembly
line, new users seen "WordPress X.X version was just released" posts,
said... TIME TO GRAB IT!! Then found out major issues were happening,
ran to the Support Forums with TONS of the same questions...sigh.

ALOT of hysteria/chaos could be prevented with forewarning posts
regarding newer/bigger versions of WordPress. So the mass audience at
least has a heads-up warning, before an actual release. I'm figuring
already, 2.3 is going to bring more than just the normal support type
questions as well. To "us" it's nothing, to new users, it's possibly
going to be chaos.

We also have to keep in mind....

a) Noobs aren't "us". Noobs see new versions of WordPress with New
Features, upgrade or install it. They run into issues, and want or need
help NOW.

b) Not all the plugin authors are going to have their plugins updated
for 2.3 once it's released. Heck, even the past few versions of
WordPress that were released, the plugin compatible lists aren't fully
updated nor hold ALL of the actual plugins available for those specific
versions. Noobs want their plugins working on newer versions .. NOW. Not
later. Which runs into c)

c) Besides general support giving tasks, "we" as in experienced
users/volunteers should get the ball rolling on updating the Codex pages
for such things as Plugins and their compatibilities with later
versions. So all the pages are up-to-date. I know it's the plugin
authors job, but "we" can't always count on "them" though.

d) Provide any knowledgeable answers to those seeking the help. It's all
anyone can really do. It's not just about spitting out newer/bigger
versions of WordPress. It's also about providing awesome support, for
the awesome WordPress package we're all using, and providing to those
users.

This probably went way off-topic, but I just wanted to get this out. I'm
sure there could many other things to add to this as well. But, I just
wanted to get this off my chest. Anyway, I'd be willing to come back and
help in the forums. :D

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net