[wp-forums] Forums heat map

Lara at Anubis Marketing lara at anubismarketing.com
Thu Sep 28 13:18:02 GMT 2006

On 9/27/06, Lara @ Anubis Marketing <lara at anubismarketing.com> wrote:

> I'm not surprised at all. I knew that the only people who really used
> the Latest Posts was the volunteers/mods.

How did you come to that conclusion? I am neither a mod nor volunteer and I
use latest discussions to track the progress of my own questions. If it
drops off quickly, then I know that the forums are busy and I will have to
be more patient and wait for an answer. It has even prompted me to examine
my question to see if I'm completely clear on what I am asking. Also, it's
an easy way to see if anyone has responded to my query, if it happens to
still be showing on the latest list.

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? ;^)

Craig.

It couldn't be further from hindsight, Craig - I'm one of the people who was
suggesting we move "latest discussions" down to the bottom of the page right
from the beginning, and with that very same reasoning I gave above. I wasn't
the only one who thought that, so please don't assume that I made the above
statement for any other reason than to repeat my first thoughts on the
subject, and yes, being a little pleased with finding out that I could be
right. :)
I also said that the only people who "really" used them... meaning the
people who got the most use out of them. No one but you has jumped up to say
otherwise yet. Again, These are things I suggested out of opinion from the
very beginning of this discussion. Trust me when I say that it's not about
any glory - it's because like most people here, I'd like to see the forums
geared toward the users who come looking for help, priority over what the
volunteers/mods want it to look like for their purposes. If more people came
out of the lurk mode to agree with what you've said about the latest posts,
then I might be inclined to change my opinion. So far, you're the only one.
-----
On the topic of tags: I've never stated what I thought of them either way
before right now, and I actually agree that they should be implemented as is
done in the .com forums. For me, it's not about "Web 2.0" - it's about
functionality. I do, however think they should be arranged by related-ness
as opposed to alphabetically and by size. How that would be laid out
exactly, I'm not sure. But I do think tags are a good thing.

I also think that the forum rules needs to be there, and needs to be in a
format anything other than what it is now. Been saying that from the
beginning too. (So, if and when it changes, and I say something like "that's
exactly what I was thinking!" and smile and clap my hands and jump up and
down, please Craig, don't call it hindsight) ;^)

~ Lara