[wp-forums] Update 9/18

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 10:01:44 GMT 2006

> !1. The top portion of the topic has been simplified (I hope) a
> little.  In particular, we now see a (X posts) at the top.
> Moderators should instead see (X posts +Y more) when looking at a
> topic with spam or deleted posts in it. This takes the place of the
> old "view all" link.  http://wordpress.org/support/topic/86772?replies=6

I like this, it's keeping it all at one place, much better. =) ;)  Easy to just click the +Y more link, rather then scrolling to the bottom of page, if wanting to view the rest of the stuff in thread.. =)

> 2. Ajax has been simplified.  Tagging on topics should work now.  If
> you don't have any tags listed under "Your Tags" for a particular
> topic, the first tag you add will cause a page reload.  Subsequent
> tags will not.  This will get cleaner.

Ah.. *Much* better.. =)  Quick and easy, /adding and deleting tags now..  =D ;)

> !3. On front page, on each forum page and on each tag page there is
> now a "Add New" link up near the top which should take you to a form
> to add a new topic.

I like this also, just.. you might want to keep the link *Bold* or something, it kind of just blends in with the "TOPIC" text there, after being (visited) clicked once.. sigh.  Just hope the nOObs, and new users don't over look it too.. =/

> 4. Search: has been in the works for some time... still is :)

Oh ok, that's cool.. ;) Good things, just take time.. =)

> 5. My take on the popular poll items that seem to involve me:
>
> [+1 ++1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 / -1 -1] - - Move the list of specific
> forums above the recent posts.
>
> With the new "Add New" links, the main need for this may have been
> lifted.

Um, yeah.. maybe so, but.. IMHO, and this is just me of course.. others can put forth their suggestions, opinions and such then, but.. "the forums" themselves should be in a position on the support page, first.

Being that, "the forums", are technically the vital "main support" line, for the support page there itself..right?  I mean, that'd be like going to Google.com, to find the search bar at the very bottom of the page.. and the "Text, Text Links" at the top of page, being the first thing people see.. don't make much sense if ya ask me lol.. but, yeah..  The Latest Discussions, should come at most, in "second place".  Maybe even cut down the total amount displayed also.. but, again..this is my 2 cents.. =P  Also, I'm not saying/suggesting to remove that "Add New" text link either... ya know.. I think that's an awesome addition.. =)

> [+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +++1 +1 ++1 +1] - - Fix the pagination issues/problems!
>
> Are there any problems outside of the "views" (no-replies,
> unresolved, ...)?

AFAIK, there isn't any problems, except for the (no-replies, and unresolved). I just tried the pagination under my profile:
http://wordpress.org/support/profile/33227

Seems to be working just fine, has been for awhile now, same goes for under the "Tags" http://wordpress.org/tags/20  and, under each forum:
http://wordpress.org/support/forum/2

> [+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 / 0 / -1. (Needs to be integrated.)] - - Make
> posting code and links easier for less technical users. Use the
> wordpress.pastebin.ca for people to paste codes, then post back the
> URL to it. Also, fix the bugs for placing links in the forums!
>
> Still working on links.  Will try to make code easier.

Sweet! Glad to hear that. =)

> [+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1] - - For quicktags type addition/option, for
> placing codes in the forums and such.
>
> Nice idea.

Yup, an awesome idea, coming from awesome Les.. =) ;)

> [+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 / -1 -1 ] - - "When a thread gets marked as
> Resolved, close it too. If folks want to dredge up golden-oldies, let
> 'em refer to it by link. After 50 or more posts the topic has often
> drifted all over hell and back."
>
> Another nice idea.
>
> Michael

Yeah, I'm starting to think that this will help "us" in the long run. =)

Anyway, I'm sorry I'm not so active on here these past two days, waiting on the new hard drive to arrive, working on the temporary computer is kind of hard and useless.. but.. atleast it works lol..  I dunno, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents or so.. Anyway.. I need sleep.. later peoples..

spencerp

////////////////    Just throwing this out of course.... \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Going along with the above Close Resolved "idea", how about making some "General Forums".. Example: For basic Website Design, Basic CSS/XHTML, whatever else.. then, also make a forum called Knowledge Base or something.. then, the mods can put some of the [Resolved] / [Closed] threads in there.. and users can wade through them first to find their possible answers..

After the "Basic CSS/XHTML" forums made, then edit the original: Themes and Templates - XHTML and CSS  <-- to --> Themes and Templates - XHTML and CSS (W.P. ONLY)  or something of that nature.. =P