[wp-forums] Forums above posts.

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sun Sep 17 16:22:16 GMT 2006

This is a change that has been suggested and I am absolutely opposed to.
Because it's a significant change and I'm not just being a difficult SOB
I'll try and explain why.

We have had sticky posts for a long time. We all know they are there to
convey frequently needed information. In the case of the rules they are
there to tell people how we expect them to act. They are a different
colour. They never move. They are referred to often by those people
answering questions. Read that last sentence again. They are sticky,
they are coloured differently and people still do not read them or they
miss them.

And you want the forums _above_ the stickies?

How are people going to see them there?
An excellent request and one I have asked for before too is a clear
signpost for users to create a new post. Right now it is not intuitive.
_Where_ that signpost goes is up for discussion but the fact people
don't know where to post is not - IMO - because they can't find the
forums but it is because the scroll down-click-scroll down stuff is
confusing. Since when is moving the forum list going to help that?

All I can see moving the forums up will do is have regular helpers
screaming at people for not using the now hidden sticky posts. You think
it's bad now, it can only get worse.

There you go. That's why I think moving them will make forum life worse.

P.