[wp-forums] The "Changes" - PT2 - Let's get this together..

wordpress forums wordpress.forums at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 19:02:55 GMT 2006

I have to agree with podz on this one. A mailing list subscription
does not make one fit for moderating a forum that gets the sort of
traffic those forums receive -- nor is it indicative of any kind of
tangible involvement.

A desire to help out is nice, but really .. so what?

As far as the voting goes. I have to agree with what Craig said about
a poll of some kind, if in fact a vote is even going to matter. Im not
even sure I think that the all-inclusive votes of ppl on this list
ought to to bear any wieght on what changes are made to the forum.
Honestly, whoever is handling the interface ought to make the changes
he/she/they think are necessary -- whether or not someone here likes
them or not. The Internet is not a democracy, and the hemming and
hawwing, and lack of action, thereof is a waste. Someone, do
sonething, and be done with it.

Just my nickel.

whoo

----

Podz wrote:

 I'm going to totally disagree. While more mods may or may not be on
the agenda, approaching mailing-list subscribers to do that job just
isn't going to happen. Every mod has been appointed because they have
done the work. They have helped out almost daily, have shown a depth
of knowledge, have coped with FAQ's and have done everything
consistently. I do not think using a mailing-list for selection
criteria is a good one. Example: I've been subbed to the hackers list
since it's inception. You wouldn't want me reviewing code and the task
is no less important.

---

Christopher J. Hradil wrote:

+1 Moderation  -  I think that getting more folks involved will help
get things done in general, and provide more coverage which is a good
thing. Just in reviewing the subscriber list to the wp-forums mailing
list (which has been adding members with a reasonable amount of
consistency), there seems to be plenty of folks available to help out,
so I think that's probably a good place to begin looking for
additional mod help. In the worst case if someone wasn't doing a good
enough job or whatever, an admin Podz, etc could easily just strip any
new folks of their 'mod' status.