[wp-forums] Doing it for free. - the people(2)

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Wed May 10 16:25:07 GMT 2006

TechGnome wrote:

> I was too.... I was thinking that the system would be something like
> the Bug Traq. Users can report their request, and there would be an
> area where installers can see the queue. For the user, they would be
> able to see how high up in the queue they are. I think that some basic
> info could be collected: the url for the site, the host, what kind of
> control panel do they have (I haven't a clue as to how CPanel works,
> but I have worked with HSphere and 1&1's panels), forum user name,
> real name, etc (non sensitive info - ie, no passwords or logins - IMHO
> that stuff should NEVER be in the database, avoids security issues
> should something happen). The pin can be a random autogenerated 4
> digit (at least) number, some kind of GUID, or let the user pick their
> own "codeword" (or number, or what ever).

Sounds good.

> *Afterthought: the user should also have a way to cancel the request.
> Maybe they figured it out on their own, or they are moving hosts, or
> maybe even giving up on bloging.* *Another thought, after
> installation, moving a blog from host a to host b is the second
> biggest request I keep seeing that people have problems with. Has any
> thought been given to adding that as a service as well?*

Thats true, but it is another kind of problem and involves things like
dumping and loading the old database.
Not that it is much worse, I guess, but I think that it would have to WP
Install Service, ver. 2.0 ( at least 1.5 :)
Let's try to get the install service rolling and see what that will take
us. Maybe there is no market, or maybe the installers will be
overwhelmed by presumptive bloggers.

> When the installer logs in, they get to see the full and complete
> list, sorted in order of entry. The question at this point, is do we
> allow the installers to pick which ticket they pick up, or is it a
> "take what's next in the list situation." Taking what's next is the
> fairest thing to do, but at the same time, the installer should have
> some kind of familiarity with the control panel that's going to be
> accessed. And I don't want to end up in a Taming of the Shrew kind of
> situation (if that makes any kind of sense). Then again, how hard can
> it really be to figure these panel systems out?

I think there should be a possibility to share responsibility among
installers.
If I don't succeed with the install, I could "hand it over" to someone else.
This of course transparent to the requester.

> The login info should not be released until the installer contacts the
> user, verifies that they still want the work done, as well as the work
> to be done, and all previous data entered into the system. Once the
> user sends the necessary login info back to the installer, that will
> be considered the green light to go forward with the work.
>
> After it's done, an email is sent by the installer to the user. The
> installer then marks the item as complete in the tracker. That takes
> that item out of the queue completely and everyone moves up a position.
>
> As a side note, I was thinking that when the installer marks the item
> done, an auto email could be sent to the user, thanking them,
> reminding them that they should change passwords, giving them some
> links to helpful places (forums, podz's site, the codex, etc) and
> possibly a link to an online feedback survey (optional) asking them
> about their experience, etc.

Yes, some "and now what?" nuts'n bolts would be helpful at that point.

> And yes, it seems like I have given this a lot of thought, haven't I?
> Problem is, I've got the ideas, just not the know-how to put the
> theory into practice.

Same here.

> <snipped for - you know, brevity>

/Petit