[wp-forums] Doing it for free. - the people(2)

Vicki Frei vkaryl at localnet.com
Wed May 10 14:31:42 GMT 2006

On 5/10/2006 8:03:46 AM, TechGnome (tg at tannagh.com) wrote:
I was too.... I was thinking that the system would be something like the
Bug Traq. Users can report their request, and there would be an area
where installers can see the queue. For the user, they would be able to
see how high up in the queue they are. I think that some basic info
could be collected: the url for the site, the host, what kind of control
panel do they have (I haven't a clue as to how CPanel works, but I have
worked with HSphere and 1&1's panels), forum user name, real name, etc
(non sensitive info - ie, no passwords or logins - IMHO that stuff
should NEVER be in the database, avoids security issues should something
happen). The pin can be a random autogenerated 4 digit (at least)
number, some kind of GUID, or let the user pick their own "codeword" (or
number, or what ever). *Afterthought: the user should also have a way to
cancel the request. Maybe they figured it out on their own, or they are
moving hosts, or maybe even giving up on bloging.* *Another thought,
after installation, moving a blog from host a to host b is the second
biggest request I keep seeing that people have problems with. Has any
thought been given to adding that as a service as well?*

When the installer logs in, they get to see the full and complete list,
sorted in order of entry. The question at this point, is do we allow the
installers to pick which ticket they pick up, or is it a "take what's
do, but at the same time, the installer should have some kind of
familiarity with the control panel that's going to be accessed. And I
don't want to end up in a Taming of the Shrew kind of situation (if that
makes any kind of sense). Then again, how hard can it really be to
figure these panel systems out?

The login info should not be released until the installer contacts the
user, verifies that they still want the work done, as well as the work
to be done, and all previous data entered into the system. Once the user
sends the necessary login info back to the installer, that will be
considered the green light to go forward with the work.

After it's done, an email is sent by the installer to the user. The
installer then marks the item as complete in the tracker. That takes
that item out of the queue completely and everyone moves up a position.

As a side note, I was thinking that when the installer marks the item
done, an auto email could be sent to the user, thanking them, reminding
them that they should change passwords, giving them some links to
helpful places (forums, podz's site, the codex, etc) and possibly a link
to an online feedback survey (optional) asking them about their
experience, etc.

And yes, it seems like I have given this a lot of thought, haven't I?
Problem is, I've got the ideas, just not the know-how to put the theory
into practice.

-tg

Yup - that pretty much covered how I figured it should work.  I don't
have the ability/know-how either.  Which was why I rather assumed we
were just waiting for Kafkaesquí to resurface.