[wp-forums] RTFM? Not cool...

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Mon Jul 17 23:40:48 GMT 2006

Lara @ Anubis Marketing wrote:
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/79820
>
> I think moshu did a great job handling this, however I have to say that were
> I to get hit with "RTFM" myself, I'd be inclined to react similarly...
> I don't know where that abbr started, and I don't much care, but it's
> rude... and the person who used it here, has been seen using it all over the
> forums as of late. I don't know if he just discovered it or what...
>
> Since we all know what it means, spelling it out would give reason for a
> thread to be moderated, so why is the abbreviation alright? I have no
> problems with saying something to the effect of, "It's right here in the
> codex:" and giving the link. However to me, RTFM sounds like blatant
> arrogance smacked with a taste of "safe" profanity.
>
> Just my opinion...
>
> ~ Lara

I'll have to agree on this. In a pure hacker community it'd be OK to
RTFM someone, but with a smile.
In a less hackerish one like the WP SF, I'd think not ( apart from the
fact that not everyone would know enough hackery parlance to interpret
the abbr. ( funny as it may be ;)).
On the matter of the thread, it took me a good while to get, that in
order to get a key you must have a WP COM membership.
And I still don't see the reason to have a WP COM BLOG to use Aksimet on
another host.

On another note, anyone may slip sometimes.

/Petit