[wp-forums] Installing for free

Christopher J. Hradil chradil at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 02:22:34 GMT 2006

I was going to go make this post on the forum thread, however it's likely
more appropriate to address here:
Quote:
"Side note: If this weren't supported by WordPress and the developers, the
link up there wouldn't be pointing to a subdomain of wordpress.com! I highly
doubt that Matt would allow something like this if he weren't able to trust
those involved, and willing to put the very nature of "his name" on it."

that's a ridiculous statement, since you know as well as I do that anyone
could easily go set up any name they wish at WP .com for free, then go ahead
and post any content they wish, and it's highly likely that matt would even
know that it's there, let alone condone the activity.

to quote your "about" page:
"We are deliberately not listing the names of those involved here because:"

This is absolutely the most inappropriate way of going about something like
this that could possibly exist. It's completely unprofessional. It has the
potential to damage the reputation of WP, matt and all of us who make our
names and contact information public because that's the correct and
professional way to do things. This approach, whether true or not has the
appearance that whomever is involved is a) inexpericanced, and b)has
something to hide.

It's obvious that whomever is ultimately responsible for "install4free" has
no concept of how to appropriately market this type of service, and forget
about building user's "trust level".

If this is in fact a legit effort by Podz, et. al. Kudos. It's a great idea,
and is something that should happen in one way or another, however the
approach taken here really wasn't the best way to go about it. I know that
many of you devote a great deal of your personal time and effort to the WP
project, and WP wouldn't be nearly as successful, or where it is today
without that type of team effort.

I haven't had the time lately to devote to the forums or the codex as much
as I'd like to, I'm personally in the middle of launching two startups, plus
supporting existing clients, but once again, I'd like to just let you all
know that I'm available as a resource if you need me, I have a considerable
amount of experience in these types of activities in addition to my
technical skills. As I stated, this is a great concept, however the market
perception of how we've gone about this isn't likely to produce the intended
results.

best...chris

Christopher J. Hradil
chradil at comcast.net