[wp-forums] Forum moderation

Lara at Anubis Marketing lara at anubismarketing.com
Sat Jul 1 22:36:44 GMT 2006

Not for nothing - but simply because I have been holding my tongue about
that thread (the one where deko called me "ladydeBALOONa" among other
references to my weight) myself and no longer wish to do so...

(thanks whoo for bringing attention to it, it's gotten me to come back to
state my opinion, which I should've done before...)

I thought that flames would be deleted in the forums... or is that a
misinterpretation of "B: The following posts will be deleted on sight." -
more specifically, the rule/s that state:

"If your post contains abuse or flames then this will not merely be removed
from a post, your whole post will be deleted." and
"If your post directs offense at another forum user, it will be deleted."

That particular thread was simply closed - and the insult to my being
overweight is still there. (No, it's not like it's a secret that I'm a fat
chick - it's the manner in which it was stated - and that was to flame and
offend me.) Nevermind his other stereotypical insults about the French, mac
users, and so on and so on...

In regards to whooami's thread, I draw attention to this section of the
forum rules, under "B: The following posts will be deleted on sight.":

"Posts which are destructive in nature. To put it basically, if you cannot
say anything positive or helpful, or provide pointers that can assist the
original poster and do so in a constructive manner - then do not post."

Yet rather than delete Yosemite's non-helpful post, which didn't assist the
original poster, nor did it provide pointers to assist the original poster,
it was allowed to escalate a little, and then the thread was simply closed.

Here it goes - you can't get pissed off at people who escalate things - it's
a natural reaction to snap back when someone ticks you off, and that's human
nature, and must be forgiven. However I think it's a lot easier (and will
result in not only less hurt/angry feelings but rather more of a "learn your
lesson" approach) to delete individual posts that break the rules.  Closing
a thread immediately, yet leaving the insults up, doesn't make anyone happy.

I know that I'm sure as hell not too keen on the fact that deko got the last
insult out, and it stayed there, and I have no recourse for reaction (which
I wouldn't have done at that point, I would've "reported" him) yet the
insult remains. Once again, I'm feeling like I'm left to look stupid and
he's trouncing around knowing he got the last dig at someone else... not
fair, is it?

Anyway - I feel better getting that all out, but I really wish something
would be done about both cases... and that things like this (closing without
deleting, as mentioned in the rules) would be prevented in the future.

Thanks for hearing me out as well...
~ La