[wp-forums] Searching where you shouldn't

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Sun Jan 29 10:24:59 GMT 2006

We're all too experienced...

>From a lot of the posts I've seen, my impression is that the layout is
unwelcoming and confusing for new users. Now I use a custom CSS to hide the
tag cloud. But even with that, actual posts start a long way down the screen
in resolutions of 1024x768 and below. Actual forum headings are
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there, and given that a lot of people don't seem
to like scrolling too far, it's not surprising that we see people unable to
find where to post properly.

Looking at the posting form, maybe it's the "be sure to search" text that
makes people who are either not really concentrating[1], or whose English
perhaps isn't all that good, to mistake it for a search form?

[1] Common when they've got a problem and they're a wee bit stressed about
it

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Losing it[1] - http://lcb.me.uk/