[wp-forums] Outstanding Forum Problems

Vicki Frei vkaryl at localnet.com
Fri Jan 20 15:47:41 GMT 2006

On 1/19/2006 10:21:42 PM, Podz (podz at tamba2.org.uk) wrote:
> Link from the Semiologic site:
> "As a rule, I am for hire and you are on your own.
> Email sales @ semiologic.com if you are interested in paid support.
> The WordPress forums if you are not."
>
> The words "WordPress forums" are linked as:
> title="WordPress
> forums"
> onclick="javascript:urchinTracker('/outbound/wordpress.org');"
> class="external">WordPress forums</a> if you are not.</p>
>
> That's where the tag is from.
> The tagging is nothing whatsoever to do with helping users when compared
> to the commercial aspects - it isn't
> rocket science to figure out.
>
> Now - why should this commercial use be treated any differently to other
> stuff which we routinely edit ?

Podz, I'm in agreement with you on this one.  Contrary to Matt's previously
stated "it's not fair" - THIS is not fair.... besides the scraping aspects of
pagerank, there's also the fact that this way Denis doesn't have to "be
bothered" with actually supporting his plugins on his own site, which is fairly
silly since his site is in no way unusable for support I would imaging, like any
other site.

And personally, considering the "semiologic theme" alone, I feel (having tried
it myself) that it's actually a fork of wp.  Since we refuse support to users of
K2 for this reason ("it's not a theme, it's a fork of the program"), it would
seem that allowing Denis to use the wp support forum for his purposes should
fall for the "semiologic theme" at least under the same restriction even if Matt
wants to allow him to scrape pr etc. by using the wp forum for the rest of his
plugins.

[Sorry - I don't think promoting ANY commercialization of wp for ANYONE but
Matt/other devs and wp itself is a good idea on the forum.  Perhaps an unpopular
attitude, but then that's life.]