[wp-forums] Suggestion for wp.com questions, and one other thing

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 21:40:17 GMT 2006

TechGnome wrote:
> Maybe it's time for a separate group independant of WP to take up the
> bbPress banner and work with it. OR is that crazy talk?

I see the problem as having 3 elements:
- the forum software
- the forums
- the forum inhabitants

Forum Software
I really like bbPress. It's clean, it's quick and it does the job way
better than any other software. However, as has been discussed before we
(the regular users) would like some changes here and there.

that leads to: The Forums
We haven't got enough. There are too many posts covering too many issues
all squashed into one small place. This makes it harder to search (per
forum search maybe in the future ?), harder to pick the active threads
out. Much has been done with the tagging and resolved/not but it still
keeps too much in too small a place. So a suggestion:
- Installation
- Troubleshooting WP
- Troubleshooting Plugins and Modifications
- Plugin Developers
- Themes
- Your WordPress
- Misc
There is probably another couple that could be added / divided from
those. Make the individual forums much more specific. Yes I know there
are lists but equally the forums are a viable place.

which leads to: The inhabitants
Fact is that the forum needs more regular helpers. I would argue that
the above 2 elements would work toward creating an environment that
would encourage help. If you can code, then there are two forums above
which are for you. If you can't there is somewhere else. If themes are
your thing, jump in.

Just creating the forums isn't a problem - that can be done now. But an
approach which has been discussed here and a consensus agreed would be
so much better.

There are people - probably some who read this list - who I'm sure could
jump in and help develop the above. A couple of weeks of work - and then
 we'll shut up and stop moaning :)

P.