[wp-forums] Building better.

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 06:04:30 GMT 2006

On 12/7/06, Mark R <tamba2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/7/06, Handy <handy.solo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So now we discuss what the title should look like, eh?
> >
> > "Valued Member"
> > "All Star"
> > "WordPress'ive"
> > "WP Support Team"
> > "Major Stallion"
>
> Yes :)
> One point in the article is concerning some sort of recognition / levels.
>
> "6) Re-examine your reward/levels strategy for your community
> Is there a clear way for new users to move up the ranks? Are there
> achievable, meaningful "levels"?"
>
> Right now we have 2 - member and moderator. That's it. It's a very
> stark jump - and the title of moderator does not imply any knowledge,
> instead it implies forum abilities.
> So why not discuss different names?
>
> My only concern is that people know who can do what - so they know who
> can alter posts, ban people etc. I don't think that should be hidden.
>
> Do we need the word Moderator?

Because of your point above, my initial  thought would be "yes" because it
does tend to imply those abilities.

I'm not saying abilities are removed, just the word changed.
> This could get bogged down in who likes what word but instead of
> member - moderator would it be better to have member - something -
> moderator or member - something - something else - moderator.

Here I bog down too.  I see where you're headed, but I just don't have any
great ideas on those "something" titles.  I kinda like "WP Support Team"...

The funny thing is, we could add our own little test.  In the "Before you
post" sticky, add "Want to change your title?" and a paragraph on who to
contact and whatever terms there might be (membership duration?  post
count?  I dunno).  That way, you KNOW the folks asking for title change are
at least interested enough to read the rules.

Similar to the days when I was a director for a large financial services
company.  In memos that got overly long, I'd add a sentence towards the end,
"If you've read this far, see me for a free lunch"... at least that way I
knew who was interested enough to read.  ;-)