[wp-forums] Building better.

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:24:39 GMT 2006

Good article, thanks for pointing it out.

"The real deal-killer is when a new or beginning user asks a "dumb"
question.[...]"

We (as volunteers) struggle there, I think.  And yes, I'm just as guilty as
anyone else.  I think we might want to ponder or discuss some
self-policing?  Especially related to points 4 and 5 on that list.

"*6) Re-examine your reward/levels strategy for your community*
Is there a clear way for new users to move up the ranks? Are there
achievable, meaningful "levels"?"

I was surprised to see that on a list like this without any
actual/quantifiable suggestions...  I wonder if there's a way to have
"levels" that doesn't involve post counts?  (I bet I'm not alone in hating
post pharmers).

So how DO we encourage folks to answer questions?  When they reply back that
something worked, invite 'em to "pay it forward"?

Oh wait, I need to read all the comments.  There's some good stuff in there,
it looks like.

Last thought:  The article starts with discussion of newbs, intermediates
and experts.  I personally feel like I'll be an "intermediate" forever... we
could use more experts.  :-)  (yep, I'm referring to miklb's recent posts
about trying to draw in some coders).