[wp-forums] Doing it for free.

Kaf Oseo kaf at szub.net
Wed Apr 19 19:07:31 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:
>>> - we would need to be firm about the 'deal'. No follow-on asking please.
>>
>> Yep.
> It will still happen :)

Of COURSE it will. An iron-clad agreement at the start lets us point
out they agreed to it. Over and over again, when necessary.

>> A 101-type document would need to be written beforehand providing
>> basics on file permissions, ftp-ing, installing plugins and themes,
>> general WordPress use/options. This is provided to them at the time
>> of installation agreement.
>
> This is where I would differ.

Here's my point on this:

When I took over managing tech support for an ISP, a good percentage
of support calls were from ignorance over basic things (basic for Net
use, at least). What is email? How can I browse? How do I download?

I had the staff write down issues like this they dealt with by rote.
Then we went through and selected the 10 most frequent (or obvious).
With a few employees most adept at explanation, we wrote a "Welcome to
the Internet" message that got sent to each new member, both by email
and post, introducing them to our service as well as covering these
most frequent (or obvious) issues. Not in depth, but just enough so
complete beginners had enough information to get started and know where
to go for additional help.

Once we began sending the message out, "ignorance" calls went down by
over 40%. I know because I had to do call tracking metrics. :P

</personal rel="history">

Anyway, my suggestion for such a document here is from my belief those
likely to ask for installation are going to be those who know little
to nothing about ftp, how to upload, blogging and so on. Consider it
an attempt not to persuade away from the forums (like we could!) but
to head off as many 'rote' queries as possible.

Now back to the meat and potato issues on this topic...

-Kaf