[wp-forums] About the FAQ

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 16:24:38 GMT 2006

It's not an FAQ is it? It's forum moderation....anyway...

I've altered and 'sectioned' the Forum Moderation post. It's posted to
the forum as well (which I hope isn't presumptive but it is essentially
the same)
I've done this so it's easy to focus in on areas when we need to discuss
it and it's also easier to use it as a reference point.
For instance, someone posts something abusive, you could delete the
post, remove it and put [Moderated - abuse removed] or you could
[Moderated - Check the sticky B.3] which will make people aware that the
FAQ is there and that it is being used.
It doesn't make it a stick but I think we do need to use it somewhat
more strictly. Mods should not feel obliged to add their names to any
edits, closures or deletions. While adding names increases transparency
it also increases the chances of someone directing criticism at one
person which has happened all too much recently.

I'll add that since we started bringing possible posts / threads to this
list for discussion we have all probably got a good idea about what is
and is not debatable. We probably know what would get a "Yes delete it"
from here. Delays can exacerbate the situation at times so mods should
delete or close. If you are in some doubt, copy the post content and
leave the post open but empty then seek to discuss it. Mods have powers
for a reason and sometime collective decision making is not the best
approach. This does not mean that we'll wake up to find half the forum
deleted. It does mean that we are expressing our confidence in all the
moderators to do what they do best - look after the forum.

And if you read this list we need people to continue leading everything
positively. Those who come to the forums purely to criticise will get
bored, will move on - but only if they get no response. We've worked
hard to get and keep the forums the way they are - and they need to stay
that way.

As usual everything is up for discussion and the post below will be
changed to reflect agreed opinion.

P.

----------------------------------

These forums exist to support WordPress users.

Remember - WordPress is FREE software. When you make a request here for
help, no-one is being paid to answer you. Being polite is extremely
important to those of us who do help here. And when you get an answer
that works, if you could come back to your thread and say so that would
be wonderful.

<strong>A:</strong> The following posts are moderated automatically:
<ol>
<li>Those containing email addresses. The address will be munged.</li>
<li>Those containing passwords. The passwords will be removed.</li>
<li>Those that have tag faults which break or adversely affect the forum
software.</li>
<li>Those which contain incredibly long sections of code or error
messages.<li>
<ol>
A note may <em>or may not</em> be made in the thread or in the post if
such action has been taken.<br />

sight</strong>.
<ol>
<li>Topics or replies with no body.</li>
<li>If you post just to spam or or get 'google juice' then you WILL be
blocked and the url you are using will be broken. These forums will stay
clean of spammers and the useless junk they bring.</li>
<li>Posts which are destructive in nature.<br />
To put it basically, if you cannot say anything positive or helpful, or
provide pointers that can assist the original poster and do so in a
constructive manner - then do not post.</li>
<li>If your post contains abuse or flames then this will not merely be
removed from a post, your whole post will be deleted.</li>
<li>If your post directs offense at another forum user, it will be
deleted.<br />
Do not try to use words cleverly - if there is any doubt, it will be
deleted.</li>
</ol>
A note may <em>or may not</em> be made in the thread if such action has
been taken.<br />

<strong>C:</strong> Reporting threads
To report a bad post, add a tag called 'modlook' to the thread. That
feed is checked very regularly and we can zoom in on it.

<strong>D:</strong> Signatures
Signatures on all posts will be removed. Signatures create clutter and
distract from the information and help we are trying to provide.

<strong>E:</strong> Paying for services
Requesting paid help is discouraged. We do not want to give any
impression that WordPress help is anything but free. We also do not need
bidding wars in the forums.
If you have posted some contact information your thread will be closed.
If you have not posted that information we will ask you to and when you
do the thread will be closed.
Any thread that offers any service for money can be closed at any time.
We are not against paid services but these forums are not the right
place for them.
We have a WP-Pro mailing list which you are encouraged to use.

<strong>F:</strong> General
To report something you are concerned about (including bad posts) you
can join the forum mailing list (see below)
Please don't use CAPS - it's like shouting and very rude.

<strong>G:</strong> Complaints
Before you complain, please remember that all help here is free. Also
remember that text alone can be a very poor medium for communication -
if you have disagreed with someone you may both be misunderstanding. You
have bad days so does everyone else - one post that you disagree with
does not make the other person bad and neither does it make them a
target to be got at. And please remember that this is only software, not
something essential to life itself. Getting the last word in is not
being constructive either.
If after considerable thought you want to make a point about
<em>someone</em>, email me: tamba2 @ gmail . com. If you want to make a
point about <em>something</em> then join the forum mailing list (see below).

<strong>H:</strong> The mailing list
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-forums
It existsé to positively discuss how we can improve the forums. It's not
a place for complaining, it's not a place for destructive comments. It
is where decisions are discussed and agreed by forum members who are out
to make what we provide even better.

Please remember that this forum exists for one purpose only - to help
people.
Constructive criticism and debate are welcome where appropriate -
negativity is not.
If you can post positively to the forum then please do :)