[wp-forums] Resolved Threads

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Nov 22 08:45:24 GMT 2005

Chris Anderson wrote:
> Can I clarify something? I never meant for us to be markingthings as
> resolved. That's not our job - at least it's not supposed to be. My
> intent was to make it easier for the OP to mark something as resolved.

I agree that it should be easier to mark threads as resolved, and moving
that box to the bottom would be a step forward for that.

Mods marking threads as resolved.
When the 'resolved' thing was started it was to help people find the
good answers. But there are two obstacles to that:
- people just don't mark them as resolved.
- we have that box in the Misc and Requests forum. Arguably it should
not be there. So out of the 5 (usual) forums we have this noise of many
unresolved threads. To combat that noise, we need to shift the balanace
toward resolution. So we need to mark them as such.
It's far from ideal, and I certainly do not like making decisions that
the Op should be making. I am also aware that if this feature was open
to all users that some people would simply post a link then say it was
done. Not good.

I don't think there is a definitive answer, but given that it's a very
small change, that it might help users and it does not disturb the
'flow' of the forums I think it's a step we can afford to take. Or like
was suggested we have at it - and we have at tags and no-replies too -
for a few weeks, we all watch and see and then in December at some point
we open a thread here where we discuss if we think what we have done has
had a negative impact on the forum.

With forums as being as ours (or as quiet, it's all relative and we are
currently getting # Posts per day: 118 # Topics per day: 22) we need to
actively manage the whole thing for the benefit if not of current users
then for future users. It's a tricky call.

P.