[wp-forums] Forum makeover

TechGnome tg at tannagh.com
Thu Nov 10 03:31:43 GMT 2005

I just had another crazy idea.... better linkage from the forums front
page to the codex. Maybe in the side bar, a section called "Common
Problems" Not quite the FAQ, but things we see often that we wish we
kept the answers canned in a text file for easy copy/paste. Like the
problem of the sidebar slipping below the content in IE. Or some common
problems people have had with adsense. Or where is my Meta Data? In
addition to answers to the *simple* items, links back to any other
supporting sites (P.I.E., CSS Zen Garden, Google, other pages in the
Codex, etc.) Each month revisit the problems commonly seen on the
forums, put together a page (or edit an exitsing one) on the Codex and
update the list if needed. Make sure the links are descriptive too.
There's a lot of info in the Codex, and a lot of people either a) don't
know about the Codex, or don't know were to look in the Codex. template
tags makes sense to us, but (for the most part) we're geeks. Joe Schmuck
isn't. Template tags doesn't mean anyting to him. "Removing meta data
section from your main page" does. Then you link it to a Codex page that
explains, in laymen's terms that, "hey waht yo uare looking for are the
template tags. These are the commands in your theme/template that make
WP do the things it does." Explain how to recognize the template and
conditional tags, and provide links to the template and conditional tag
Codex pages.

Like  I said, it's a crazy idea and probably won't go any further than
this post, but maybe it'll spark an idea in some one else's head.

-tg