[wp-forums] State of play

TechGnome tg at tannagh.com
Mon Nov 7 14:40:51 GMT 2005

I'm getting the emails too. I tend to be silent unless I have something
to add to the issue at hand or I disagree with something. Sorry. Won't
happen again.
I agree, a simple "thanks, that worked" goes a long way. But as I'm
finding out with my 3-yr-old, you can't force people to be nice.

When it comes to no-WP code, I think a harder line needs to be taken, as
well as some liberties. If it's a 5 second fix, something that's been
seen before, then I see no reason.......

Strike that. I do see a reason to not support it in any way shape or
form. "Give a mouse a cookie and he's going to want milk." I think the
time has come that we start becoming hard-assed about helping people and
sending them to where they really belong. If some one is using something
that the author no longer supports, maybe there's a reason. Should we be
expected to then support it? Some of us have a hard enough time
supporting standard WP code.

One thing we have to make sure of, is that if we do start taking a hard
line attitude and start taking flak from it, be sure to grow some thick
skin and do not let it become personal. We've all seen the threads out
there. The ones that sit there, smoldering, hoping some one will pick it
up and and fan the flames.

More forums isn't the answer. This is the WP Support Forums. Not the Wp
Support Forums "and anything else that is php or even remotely connected
to WP, even if it's my friend that has WP and not me Forums."

I see no problem with telling people to "Search First". "Search again".
"Look through the Codex" "Did you contact the author?" "Search one more
time" "Gimmie your WP setup stats (WP version, PHP ver, mySQL ver, host)"

I don't think anyone noticed but I haven't been haging out in the forums
much lately. I got tired of seeing posts for the same thing, all on the
Forums front page, byt THREE DIFFERENT people. Even the subject lines
had the same keywords in it. I've also gotten tired of all the
"Integrate WP in to my XYZ (insert some application here.)" Which are
then replied to by the OP with "bump" to which Podz then replies telling
them that bumping doesn't help. Which is then followed by the demand for
help and eventualy the "you suck" post. I've been tempted to post
replies with the following sediment: "Not with that attitude. Look,
chill. Give it a day, then come back and when you are no longer high or
drunk, try to as susincly as possible describe your problem. Maybe if
you have a better attitude, some one might be willing to help. But it
isn't going to be me and it isn't going to be today." But instead I bit
my toungue and leave.

-tg