[wp-forums] Titles/Promotions/Labels

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue Jul 12 10:48:21 GMT 2005

Peter Westwood wrote:
> Maybe we need to step back for a second and identify what the *problem*
> is that we are trying to solve by introducing this title.
>
> Is there a *problem* at all?
>
> If we are just trying to recognise people for there contributions then
> this is possibly the kind of thing, like a visible post count, which
> leads to the kind of problems Kaf if alluding to.

It's that; but it's also an attempt to have a sustainable, relatively
neutral system for identifying users who are reputable.

The value of a reputation system is that new users can better choose
which answers to trust: the "experts" are identified as such, without a
new user being required to monitor the forums for days/weeks to see the
same participants answering correctly again and again.

What individuals do with this reputation is beyond our control.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35