[wp-forums] What's the proper procedure for suggesting Forum software improvements?

Michael D. Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Fri Jul 1 20:13:03 GMT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> So can you use this list to make or ask for suggestions on improving or
> changing the Forum software?  If not, where and how, should those
> suggestions be filed?

This list, I gather, may be used to discuss suggestions to WordPress'
support forums.  Making suggestions is different.  If, after consensus, a
suggestion needs to be made regarding bbPress code, Matt and I are both
subscribed to the list.  I suppose a holler will get one of our
attentions.  I'm not sure if that's the best method or not yet.

> Is there an official Forum thread for that?

No.  Barring objections from those here, the forum is for WordPress
support not for forum (meta)support.  If someone would like to disagree,
I'm listening (that's part of what I see this list being about: what are
the forums?)

> I see from a Michael Adams post there is a bug tracker for the Forum.

No.  There is a bugtracker for bbPress.

> Is that the correct avenue for suggesting improvements?

http://bbpress.automattic.com/
This is the official avenue for bug reports/feature requests/ticket
submissions for bbPress (the software running the WP forums).  Note,
though, that bbPress is not the same thing as the WordPress forums.

There is also a bbPress development mailing list.  Discussing bbPress
issues should really happen there.

It's an odd line:  When are we talking about WP forums vs. when are we
talking about bbPress?  I don't know how to draw it.

> Is http://codex.wordpress.org/Support_Forum_Volunteers  the place for
> Suggestions?  Even though it asks for Suggestions it almost says don't
> bother suggesting improvements or changes to the Forum software.

I would suggest all discussion here, with summaries of consensus possibly
posted on the Codex (the page would, in that case, direct people here for
discussion).

> Should a Codex article or something of that nature be developed to inform
> people how to correctly submit suggestions and improvements to the Forum?

Again, I would suggest pointing people to this list.

To reiterate, I would say issues/suggestions for the WP forums should be
brought up and discussed here.  Then the proper solution (be it an
improvement in bbPress, a shift in the way people use the forums, etc.)
can be implemented through whatever means appropriate (a bbPress ticket,
an announcement on the forum/blog, etc.).

Michael
--mdawaffe