[wp-forums] Building a Team

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Fri Jul 1 18:34:08 GMT 2005

I don't know if it's possible to do all that much to encourage people to
assist more. There will always be the people who only visit the forum when
they have a problem, post their question and run (sometimes not even hanging
around long enough to read the responses, I suspect). The people who are
going to be inclined to assist are pretty much the ones who are doing it now
- and it does appear that a very small number of people are shouldering the
majority of the work. Then there are those of us who contribute a few
answers when we can - I see this as giving something back to WordPress. For
me, the quality of genuinely helpful responses on the forums was a major
factor in my decision to move to WP, and I've learned a lot from other
people's questions. But perhaps some kind of "status mark" might encourage
people to help more - I don't think it would do any harm to try it.

One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps, while looking at the
structure of the forums, there could be designated experts for different
sections. We'd need several in each area, but it would mean that volunteers
with limited time available could concentrate their efforts in the areas
they know best, relying on their colleagues to deal with other questions.
There could also be a couple of people mopping up any missed posts. Not sure
how well that would work in practice.

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Losing it[1] - http://lcb.me.uk/